   Re: [xml-dev] canonicalization

At 04:36 AM 04/03/02 -0500, Daniel Veillard wrote:
>On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 01:13:22AM -0800, Tim Bray wrote:
>> Could you achieve the same effect with a perl script?
>
>  yes you can also validate and probably 100x time faster a document
>directly by accessing the node tree with a high level language. And
>I will argue an awful lot of people still do this too.
>
>> I'm beginning to think that trying to do cheap content management
>> down in the markup just doesn't have a positive payoff. -Tim
>
>  It's just a matter of API level. As parts get used more they
>gets forged as API. Better building API at a syntax level than
>in the programing language syntax. I call this sedimentation...

That's precisely what I'm disagreeing with... I'm becoming
more & more convinced that inclusion and aggregation have so
much application-specific hair, and the cost of trying to
model them generally is so high, that we should just kick
them out of the syntax and at the level of *interoperability*,
we should talk in terms of whole fully composed XML documents.
 -Tim