   XLinks

On reading Bob DuCharme's article on "XLinks, Who Cares?"
I am struck that he leaves out the argument that is to me
a primary reason XLink isn't taking off.  Many of us use
relational systems on the server that handle metadata
relationships in tables.  Many of the tasks that an XLink
database is good for can be easily handled with a table
that contains URLs as database types.

Maybe I am just getting foggy in my dotage, but do we
need Xlinks if we use relational dbs and if so, for what
other than perhaps a convenient transport representation?

len