   RE: [xml-dev] Element With Same Name

Hello Raja,

One option you have with DTDs is to use a mixed content model, such as:

<!ELEMENT item (#PCDATA|Note)*>
<!ELEMENT Note (whatever)>
<!ELEMENT whatever EMPTY>

which would allow instances such as

1. <item>hello</item>

2. <item>
    <Note><whatever/></Note>
    <Note><whatever/></Note>
   </item>

3. <item>hello<Note><whatever/></Note></item>

Another option is to use RELAX NG [1] which has more expressive power than
DTDs:

<element name="item" xmlns="http://relaxng.org/ns/structure/1.0";>
 <choice>
  <text/>
  <zeroOrMore>
   <element name="Note">
   </element>
  </zeroOrMore>
 </choice>
</element>

where instances 1 and 2 are valid but 3 is not.

Mike

[1] http://www.oasis-open.org/committees/relax-ng/