   Re: [xml-dev] Tim Bray on "Which Technologies Matter?"

3/18/2002 10:48:17 AM, "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com> wrote:

>Microsoft had deep pockets and time to spend writing tools and
>applications, not to mention a lot of patience through the early days of
>Windows.  They also put a lot of work into hiding the complexity of
>Windows APIs using tools ...
>I think Macromedia may be attempting to do the same with Flash:

That's a good point, and muddies the clarity of my "If Tim is right,
REST will beat SOAP-RPC" prediction.  If it is easier to use a more
complex technology with good tools than a simpler technology that
supposedly doesn't need tools, does its success prove or disprove
the 80/20 rule?  I guess it comes down to how well the underlying
technology can be hidden.

I don't know much about this, but we don't hear much about "RISC"
processors anymore.  Is this a "failure" for the 80/20 rule,
or an example that well-hidden complexity can survive and prosper?
Or has RISC quietly succeeded and it's just not news anymore?