   Re: SV: [xml-dev] Tim Bray on "Which Technologies Matter?"

On Tue, Mar 19, 2002 at 06:17:21AM -0800, Paul Prescod wrote:
> Daniel Veillard wrote:

> >   There is also like 50 times more implementations. It also takes 50 times
> > less CPU to process (a bit stretched but between jade and libxslt rendering
> > of the same DocBook document there is a quantum gap, and yes this matters !)
>
> There are way too many variables for you to declare that that has
> anything to do with SGML versus XML parsing. One poor algorithm in
> either DSSSL or XSLT could drag performance down that much.

  Possibly, but the end result is there, some bug or performances problems
get fixed, others don't. I was arguing against  a statement that XML was
pure hype and less sophisticated. It may be hype but there is more
implementations to choose from, it may be less sophisticated but in practice
things which were looking impossible with the previous toolchain becomes
possible like formatting on the fly upon user request. One could probably
had done that on SGML too, but not with free software apparently. The
sophistication trade-off have a serious impact in that area.

Daniel