   Re: [xml-dev] XML in the alleged Real World (was Re: [xml-dev] Does XML-

In a message dated 24/03/02 12:53:40 GMT Standard Time, mc@xegesis.org
writes:

>I don't spend enough time in the Real World outside XML geekdom
>to have strong opinions on where the 80/20 point in XML (broadly defined)
>really is, but I think that's exactly the question we should be asking
>ourselves, one another, and our customers.

I agree. We do need to be asking those questions.

XML geekdom (lovely term) may already have split off from at least a
substantial part of the Web community. [But of course, we like to think that
we are far sighted and the others will join us later.] There was a thread
about this a few month's back - something about a fork in the road if I
remember correctly. But, if that fork has already happened, as I suspect,
then we are already in the XML geekdom fork and potentially at risk of
thinking ours is the only/most important fork.

I still think the XML fork is a pretty important one. But somewhere along the
line it is essential to transfer knowledge/information/skills to a broader
community. Not a theoretical chart on a whiteboard in MIT (or wherever) but
practical skills with answers to real world problems.

I don't know if this will be productive/practical on a mailing list but are
you able to summarise what your contacts were unable to achieve for their
customers using XSLT? If XSLT isn't working in the real world (or part of it)
as you suggest isn't it time to be feeding such real world feedback into the
XSLT 2.0 process? Or if we are already too late for that, into the XSLT 3.0
Requirements?

Andrew Watt