   Re: [xml-dev] XML in the alleged Real World (was Re: [xml-dev]DoesXML-De

[Dare Obasanjo]

> I've used SQL, C++, Java, and C# to write medium sized applications and
have never read any of the actual standards or specification documents yet
managed to be rather productive with most of my problems being due to errors
on my part than due to complexity or design of the language/technology at
hand.

> On the other hand, I literally read W3C XML recomendations on a daily
basis and (in my opinion) still have difficulties in utilizing these
technologies in non-trivial applications, many of which are based on the
limitations and interconnectedness of these technologies.

> If many users constantly have problems with your technology it means one
of two things a.) there is something wrong with your users or b.) there is
something wrong with the technology.

I never read those standards, either, although I tried a few times.  To me,
xml, xslt, and xpath Recs are much more readable and usable than some of the
programming specs I've tried to work with.  I can't say as much for xml
Schema, though.  But there have been enough good books on the programming
languages to give me help.

How many Java neophytes know the ins and outs of final, static, constant,
private, protected, and so forth (I'm one of those neophytes)?   That kind
of thing is harder to get without reading something good on the subject.
Even knowing what to put in a .h file is not so easy to learn once things
start getting complicated.

Still, I agree that the more special cases and non-obvious things there are,
the harder a system is to use.  Using J2EE and enterpries java beans isn't
trivial, I believe.  XML covers a wide range of uses and I venture to say
that a lot of people aren't that familiar with document structure and
models, nor with tree structures.  I think that xml tends to make those
things seem simpler than they are.

I tend to think that, if you can get started easily, and if a person finds
it reasonably easy to extend what they can do as they get more experience,
that will promote the use of a system.  Is the world of markup languages
like that?  What do you think?

Cheers,

Tom P