   Re: [xml-dev] Finding the target of a RDDL document

Tim and Eric,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Eric van der Vlist" <vdv@dyomedea.com>
To: "Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com>
Cc: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Friday, March 22, 2002 5:40 AM
Subject: Re: [xml-dev] Finding the target of a RDDL document

> Tim Bray wrote:
> > Eric van der Vlist wrote:
> >
> >>Sorry to ask such a trivial question, but if I read a RDDL document, how
> >>can I find its target?
>
> Just got an idea...
>
> Why not consider that the target as a resource too?
[cut]
> And if this was done in a rddl:resource with a purpose of "namespace"
> (URI to be defined) we would have this back-pointer.

That's exactly the method used by XPackage.

For simple XLink links (on which RDDL is based), the subject (that is, the
"thing" being described) is understood, which is the source of this issue.

RDF (on which XPackage is based) says that *everything* is a resource,
including the thing being described (the "target" mentioned above), and that
subject/target must *always* be explicitly stated.

To see how the above issue is naturally resolved using XPackage for RDDL,
see the RDDL example in the latest XPackage specification at
http://www.xpackage.org/specification/ .

I see the RDDL *model* as important for describing namespaces, but I prefer
the more general and extensible *syntax* used by XPackage. But of course,
I'm biased. ;)

Cheers,

Garret