   Re: [xml-dev] XML in the alleged Real World (was Re: [xml-dev]DoesXML-De

3/25/2002 9:14:34 AM, Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com> wrote:

> At Fourthought, we do a heavy traffic in XSLT work.  Yes, Mike Champion,
> this involves meeting real-world requirements for clients who have no
> truck with XML geekdom.  Based on observations of my colleagues, and
> of client developers whom we train and assist, I have quite a contrary impression to your.

OK, but I'm neutral on whether the "problems" lie in XSLT itself, the developer's
difficulties in learning "programming without variables", or in customers wanting to do
in native XML what they now do in some combination of HTML, Javascript, Flash, and high-end
design tools.  I have no doubt that someone with Uche's skills could train clients to
sort this all out, but there aren't very many people in the world with those skills.
My point is that this is a challenge that we geeks are not doing a great job of
facing up to; instead, we figure that if we invent cool stuff, people will use it.

Remember, my original argument was simply that XML-DEV is a good place to get a feeling
for which technologies "just work" and which require a lot of consulting, training,
handholding, and paradigm-shifting to make work.  I have a lot of admiration for XSLT
and the people who invented it, implemented it, and can explain it; just don't
expect the people who are now out there developing applications with Visual Basic,
Crystal Reports, Dreamweaver, Oracle Forms, etc. to grok XSLT without a lot of struggle.