   Re: [xml-dev] Processing XML Input

----- Original Message -----
From: "D C J." <domingo@ureach.com>
To: <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Wednesday, March 27, 2002 3:38 PM
Subject: [xml-dev] Processing XML Input

> Hi,
>     I'm relatively new to XML and was wondering what were the
> more common ways of transporting XML, specifically over HTTP.
> I have a site that will be accepting the XML data from the
> client, in which an ASP page will do the actual processing.
>     Currently, I have the XML sent as a query string within the
> HTTP request.  The ASP page then loads the query string into an
> XML DOM object.  Ultimately though, I will not always have
> control over the sending (client) end.  I'd like to be able to
> handle the XML input appropriately, regardless of how it was
> sent.  Any thoughts?

Well, it is definitely better to receive XML in the body of a POST request
instead of through the query string (this can be tested for, assuming the
client is kind enough to provide it, by check the Content-Type header for
"text/xml").  If the XML is long enough, some HTTP server implementations
may not be able to handle the long query string.  Apart from this, I have no
suggestion for you, especially if you have no control over how the client
will be sending you the XML.

---
Seairth Jacobs
seairth@seairth.com