   Re: [xml-dev] WD for Namespaces 1.1

Marcus Carr wrote:

> A v1.1 parser will need to have inbuilt namespace support and since DTDs
> and namespaces don't play, it's reasonable to assume that some v1.1 parsers
> won't bother to support DTDs. Why would they? Why would v1.1 mandate that they
> should? DTDs would be dead in the water once v1.1 came in, and a lot of
> currently functioning systems would have to be frozen at v1.0.

I agree with the assessment that this is bogus. DTDs are in 1.1 and if a
parser doesn't support them, it isn't an XML 1.1 parser.

I think this does raise a legitimate problem though, and that is that
moving namespaces into 1.1 formalizes the problems between DTDs and
namespaces. One solution is to continue to live with the problem. A
better solution is to allow namespace "declarations" in DTDs via the
mechanism proposed recently by Rick Jelliffe [1] and implemented a years
ago by Microsoft.

The good news is that this solution is already known to work. The bad
news is that it would cause backwards-incompatibility problems --
documents that are both valid and namespace valid would cease to be
valid due to a lack of xmlns attribute defaults in the DTD.

-- Ron

[1] http://lists.xml.org/archives/xml-dev/200201/msg02012.html