   Re: [xml-dev] WD for Namespaces 1.1

From: "Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com>

> At 12:15 AM 10/04/02 +1000, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
>
> >The point with XML is that it is not platform independent.

> The statement above is ridiculous.  One of the key reasons
> for XML's success is its high degree of platform independence.

Oh, all I mean is the platform of the WWW. Other platform
don't use URLs, so XML is platform-dependent.  Of course
I wouldn't mean operating-system dependent.

And there are other platforms. This week, I worked discussing
systems accessing encrypted files in JAR files on CD-ROMs
on personal,  non-networked devices). That is hardly on the
WWW platform is it?  Of course, I can make up my own
URL scheme to access the files, or hide it behind a query,
but I could do that with any other kind of identifier.  SGML's
Formal Public Identifer, for example, allowed you to declare
that an entity is an archive, then to access inside that; that is
unavailable in XML.

A resolved document must be platform dependent in that sense,
even if just for the particular configuration of software at that time.

Cheers
Rick Jelliffe