   Re: [xml-dev] WD for Namespaces 1.1

At 01:24 AM 10/04/02 +1000, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
>From: "Tim Bray" <tbray@textuality.com>
>> At 12:15 AM 10/04/02 +1000, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
>> >The point with XML is that it is not platform independent.

>> The statement above is ridiculous.  One of the key reasons
>> for XML's success is its high degree of platform independence.
>
>Oh, all I mean is the platform of the WWW. Other platform
>don't use URLs, so XML is platform-dependent.  Of course
>I wouldn't mean operating-system dependent.

I'm sorry, I just don't buy it.  I use XML all the time
on my laptop sitting on airplanes with no internet connection.
There is nothing whatsoever about XML that restricts its use
to the WWW platform.  The use of URIs is for (a) system
identifiers and (b) namespace names.  For (a), you can use
"file:" URLs or even relative URIs and operate just fine
away from the network; or you can use entity resolution
catalogs to the same effect.  For (b), the correct function
of namespaces does *not* require their resolution -
dereferencing is clearly an extra which some (not all)
consider desirable.

XML's only platform dependency is on a computer facility that
is able to store, retrieve, and process sequences of characters
in some encoding of Unicode.  -Tim