   RE: [xml-dev] Naive Question about NS 1.1

> I always assumed you needed to know what namespaces were in scope to
> determine what namespace a particular element was bound to:
>
> <x:root xmlns:x="http://www.example.org/";>
>   <x:child/>
> </x:root>
>
> In the above the in scope namespace for child is
> "http://www.example.org";
> bound to the "x" prefix. Without the in scope namespaces you
> would need to
> redeclare the namespace at every level wouldn't you?

No. In the Infoset, an Element Information Item has a property called
Namespace Name, which gives you the namespace URI part of the element's
name. You only need the in-scope namespaces property if you want to find a
prefix associated with that namespace URI, or if you want to find the
namespace URI associated with a prefix that appears somewhere other than in
an element or attribute name.

Michael Kay
Software AG
home: Michael.H.Kay@ntlworld.com