   Re: [xml-dev] XHTML survival rate?

On Wed, 2002-04-10 at 15:42, Jens Jakob Andersen, PDI wrote:
> Hi
>
> I am wondering (writing on a seminar) whether XHTML will take off, or it will
> stay the IPv6 of the web?
>
> I can see that with the billions of HTML pages out there, where will the
> usage of XHTML come from, and why should anyone go that way?

Until and unless XHTML does more interesting things than HTML 4, I don't
think it's going to go anywhere.  Web developers can't seem to get past
the "why" question, and the W3C's seemingly obsessive fascination with
validation and constraints is less than compelling to designers who have
to explain to their clients why XHTML is worth the extra work.

(Microsoft Internet Explorer still doesn't seem to have noticed the
XHTML namespace, which doesn't help matters, and tool support in general
has been slow in coming.)

I've written a (weak-selling) book on XHTML and run the XHTML-L mailing
list.  I sincerely wish XHTML would take off, if only to give Web
developers a firm starting point from which to explore XML.  XML tools
and XHTML feel like a natural combination to me, but I see little real
takeoff.

SVG seems to be having more of an impact, at least from what I've seen
and heard at conferences.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!