   Re: [xml-dev] XHTML survival rate?

4/10/2002 3:42:16 PM, "Jens Jakob Andersen, PDI" <jens.jakob.andersen@post.dk>
wrote:

>I am wondering (writing on a seminar) whether XHTML will take off, or it will stay
the IPv6 of the web?

>I can see that with the billions of HTML pages out there, where will the usage of
XHTML come from, and why should anyone go that way?

Hmmm. I would think that the decision to go with XHTML would be driven by
cost/benefit analysis by the producer; it shouldn't matter if the billions of Web
pages out there are XHTML or HTML.  If it makes sense for you to produce XHTML, go
for it; if your competitors are still hacking away with HTML, why would you care
:~)

Perhaps the underlying question is "when will Website development tools offer XHTML
support?"  This is something I know nothing about, so maybe someone else can chime
in.

I think it's safe to assume that browsers will continue to support HTML more or
less forever, so consumers of web pages won't be able to assume XHTML anytime soon
(like maybe before the next ice age!). Anyone wanting to process arbitrary web
pages with XML will have to tidy() them anyway.

Question: as a PRACTICAL matter, do you have to care about whether a page is served
up as XHTML or HTML to use the DOM?  We agonize over the differences in the DOM
working group (e.g., tags are lower case in XHTML and any case in HTML), but I
don't know if actually browsers treat XHTML by XML rules or HTML rules, or an ad
hoc combination of both.