   Re: [xml-dev] [good] Question about NS 1.1

At 5:31 PM +0200 4/12/02, james anderson wrote:
>"David G. Durand" wrote:
>  > This would be useful, but unless optional, it would make it harder
>>  for people to create stylesheets that produce non-namespaced,
>
>i don't see why this is harder. please give an example. i would have
>thought that the abstract syntax of such documents could be defined such
>that all names not in any namespace were actually in a distinguished
>"null" namespace.

I might want to put a colon prefix on a tag that is not (and will
never be) associated with a namespace, for instance. More commonly,
it's not uncommon to   want to omit a NS declaration in an output
file because it's to be an external entity body that be included in
another parsing context at a later time, and in which that namespace
prefix will be properly bound.

>  > or non-xml results.
>
>i am unaware of this issue and would appreciate examples.

I'm outputting some other data format, but I want to embed a little
piece of XML in the middle. The other data might establish a
"namespace" binding in some other syntax. Or I might, as discussed
above, be using colon prefixes to mean something else.

I might be needing to force colon prefixes to change in some odd way
to accomodate a DTD that I want to conform to. Since DTDs don't know
about the "semantics" of namespaces, that requires syntactic control
over the prefixes. There's surely an annotation that could be added
to a system like the one you want to ask for particular prefixes in
particular places, but that starts to be a lot of complication to
prevent a pretty easy to avoid error.

It's a tradeoff of flexibility versus automation of error prevention.

>  >
>>  There are even bigger holes in the XSLT type system, such as the
>>  ability to emit unescaped markup -- of course those are intended to
>>  solve tough problems (or enable quick hacks, depending on your
>>  perspective), and so their use is quite clearly marked.

David Durand                    |  12 Bassett St.
david.durand@ingenta.com        |  Providence RI, 02903-4628 USA
VP, Software Architecture       |  401-331-2014 x111 Cell: 401-935-5317
ingenta plc                     |  FAX: 401-331-2015
http://www.ingenta.com/