   Re: [xml-dev] [good] Question about NS 1.1

"David G. Durand" wrote:

> I might want to put a colon prefix on a tag that is not (and will
> never be) associated with a namespace, for instance. More commonly,
> it's not uncommon to   want to omit a NS declaration in an output
> file because it's to be an external entity body that be included in
> another parsing context at a later time, and in which that namespace
> prefix will be properly bound.

If I understand your description, you mean that, where one has a
document fragment like

? (defParameter *node*
    (make-elem-node :name '{xslt}element
                    :attributes (list (make-string-attr-node :name '{}name
                                                             :value "asdf"))))
*NODE*

instead of encoding it like this

? (write-node *node* *trace-output*)
==>
<xsl:element name='asdf'
xmlns:xsl='http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform' />
#<ELEM-NODE #<UNAME {xsl}element #x8B1F32E> #x8B58C7E>

one might need to encode it like this

? (write-node *node* *trace-output*
            :default-namespace "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";)
==>
<element name='asdf' />
#<ELEM-NODE #<UNAME {xsl}element #x8B1F32E> #x8B58C7E>

or like this

? (write-node *node* *trace-output*
            :namespace-bindings `(("TLSX" . "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";)))
==>
<TLSX:element name='asdf' />
#<ELEM-NODE #<UNAME {xsl}element #x8B1F32E> #x8B58C7E>
?

as i noted in one of my earlier notes, these are matters for the parser
and serializer.
for them only.

> >  > or non-xml results.
> >
> >i am unaware of this issue and would appreciate examples.
>
> I'm outputting some other data format, but I want to embed a little
> piece of XML in the middle. The other data might establish a
> "namespace" binding in some other syntax. Or I might, as discussed
> above, be using colon prefixes to mean something else.

see above. perhaps one even needs to encode it like this

? (write-node *node* *trace-output*
            :namespace-bindings `(("TLSX:too:" . "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";)))
==>
<TLSX:too::element name='asdf' />
#<ELEM-NODE #<UNAME {xsl}element #x8B1F32E> #x8B5766E>
?

> I might be needing to force colon prefixes to change in some odd way
> to accomodate a DTD that I want to conform to. Since DTDs don't know
> about the "semantics" of namespaces, that requires syntactic control
> over the prefixes.

the issues related to being able to do something like this:

? (write-node (parse-document
             "<!DOCTYPE element [
                <!ELEMENT qwer:element EMPTY >
                <!ATTLIST qwer:element
                          name CDATA 'asdf'
                          xmlns:qwer CDATA
'http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform' > ]>
              <asdf:element
xmlns:asdf='http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform' />")
            *trace-output* :pretty t :encoding :usascii
            :default-namespace "http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform";)
==>
<?xml version='1.0' encoding='UTF-8' standalone='yes' ?>
<!DOCTYPE element [
 <!ELEMENT element EMPTY >
 <!ATTLIST element
   xmlns:qwer CDATA  'http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform'
   name CDATA  'asdf' >
 ]>

<element xmlns:asdf='http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform'
         xmlns:qwer='http://www.w3.org/1999/XSL/Transform'
         name='asdf' />
#<DOC-NODE <no uri> #x8B75C8E>
?

are the same: operations have to be described in terms of the semantic
domains only and the parser/serializer have to map between the semantic
domains and the concrete syntax.

>                    There's surely an annotation that could be added
> to a system like the one you want to ask for particular prefixes in
> particular places, but that starts to be a lot of complication to
> prevent a pretty easy to avoid error.

the only complexity arises in where the serializer automatically
generates prefixes in the presence of defaults and/or conflicts. this is
confined to the serializer and requires no annotation.

or, should one say that prefixes are themselves primary and the
namespace names are just the licenses.