   RE: [xml-dev] Boundless Space and Identity

"Am I missing something?"

I don't think so.  Working inside a system that works works.

"... when working with the web on the assumption that the
above is good enough for me."

It is for you if it works by your own definition.  It
might not be good enough if you receive or submit a
contract based on the use of "web services".

Is a SOAP/RPC web service a Web software/hardware?

If I make a request for an information item through
a web service, was that information On The Web?

If information does not have a URI when stored
locally, but is given a URI when it is transmitted,
was it originally On The Web?  Does that matter?

If the answer is, "yes because it works", then you
can continue unbothered.  If the answer is
"no, because it violates the architectural
principles of the web", then it will be useful
not to call it Web software/hardware, or to
make a case for its specification at the W3C.

One seeks boundaries to classify and identify
concepts such that it is easy to know when to
apply them and what authority or control governs
their evolution.

len