   accountability, code inspection

I've been pondering various XML and Web Services issues lately, and I'm
finding that I come to the same stopping block on a lot of it: I have no
sense that either the creators of specifications or the people selling
tools based on specifications are accountable in any strong sense to
anyone except themselves (and to a limited extent, a narrow group of
peers).

Yesterday I was discussing a plumber's view of Web Services, and today
people are (once again) discussing more-or-less conspiracy views of the
W3C.  As discouraging as I find the W3C, I find new consortia like
UDDI.org and WSIO even less transparent, likely even better targets of
Kremlinology and conspiracy theory.

I'm not sure there's anything that xml-dev can do to tame these
situations.  At the same time, I'm very glad xml-dev is here, as one of
the few places where I feel I can ask for a sanity check on such
technologies and get back real (technical) answers.

I guess we're not likely to get either accountants with process audit
powers or building inspectors who can certify that proposed
infrastructures have half a chance of lasting five years.  At least we
do have open discussion that's willing to explore technologies in depth
and consider alternatives.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!