   Re: [xml-dev] What does SOAP really add?

Hi Alaric,

Alaric said:
> I always felt that XSLT was intended to be purely functional, a language
> without side effects - I don't remember seeing a defined operational
> semantics (saying what order actions are taken in), just denotational
(saying
> where information is taken from and what is done to it) :-)
> Putting POST capability into XSLT would break this, since (depending on
the
> XSLT engine in use) a document-post(url) might cause zero, one, or any
number
> of actual POSTs unless that function alone had a partial operational
> semantics defined... which would be a bit hairy

Didier replies:
Can you explain to me how an HTTP POST brings more side effects than an HTTP
GET. Off course, when used in the context of the "document" function (or
anything else having the same intent: fetching an XML document). The basic
goal of any construct like the "document" function is to fetch an XML
document. Any other construct that would replace/expand it, would have the
same intent. So, I am anxious to read your arguments of how an HTTP POST
will bring more side effects than an HTTP GET (in the context of fetching an
XML document and incorporating it into an infoset). This will expand my
knowledge :-)

cheers
Didier PH Martin