   Re: [xml-dev] What does SOAP really add?

On Tuesday 23 April 2002 14:34, Didier PH Martin wrote:

> Good point. How many times I was stuck with the problem of not being able
> to include a document returned from a form request (i.e. an HTTP POST). The
> XSLT document function is limited to the HTTP GET and do not support the
> different ways to access information through the standard HTTP 1.1. This a
> serious limitation is preventing the full benefit of dynamic documents
> inclusion. Moreover, it seems that XSLT 2.0 don't even resolve the issue.

I always felt that XSLT was intended to be purely functional, a language
without side effects - I don't remember seeing a defined operational
semantics (saying what order actions are taken in), just denotational (saying
where information is taken from and what is done to it) :-)

Putting POST capability into XSLT would break this, since (depending on the
XSLT engine in use) a document-post(url) might cause zero, one, or any number
of actual POSTs unless that function alone had a partial operational
semantics defined... which would be a bit hairy.

> Didier PH Martin

ABS

--
                               Alaric B. Snell