   RE: [xml-dev] What does SOAP really add?

The harsher problem will be if the solutions for these
add unnecessary costs to projects and bids.  That will
result in them being truly academic exercises and perhaps
in casting a worse shadow on them then they merit.
Political pounding can result in a lot of rework,
reinvention and shifts of power centers.  That is a bad thing.

Where this will become evident is in data design efforts
that insist on using SW technology for features that can
just as easily be accomplished with other more readily
available technologies.  Responses such as "the W3C
has a vested interest in xxx" are the kinds of responses
that make me ignore the specifications being produced
by that working group.  It tells me that the engineer
or writer has not thought through the alternatives or
is simply preferring a local implementation strategy.

Otherwise, efforts such as the SemWeb are part of the
W3C's charter to be forward looking.  That is a good
thing.  It becomes a bad thing when individuals or
companies sign up to efforts based purely on their
originator and a perception of political correctness.
That is a good way to go out of business.

len