   Re: Fwd: Re: [xml-dev] What does SOAP really add?

Didier PH Martin wrote:

> - if the same template is used over and over, the customer can post it on
> the server and this latter can re-use the template for the next
> transactions. However, due to the implied cost, the server my impose a limit
> on the number or the size of the templates stored.
> - The server allows ad-hoc transactions and is as much as possible
> stateless, since it is more economical and less costly to develop (i.e. no
> state management).

The two points above seem to contradict each other. If there is a
requirement that the server remember query templates for reuse then the
system is not stateless and can use POST without guilt.

But more to the point, you haven't convinced me that the CLIENT needs to
specify the XML structure of the data returned by the SERVICE. More
often, the service has a view of the data that the client queries or
filters. The service returns the requested data in an XML format that it
chooses (e.g. GoogleML for Google, RSS for Meerkat, etc.).

Perhaps you could explain to me, for instance, how the Google web
service would be improved if you could push an XML "template" to them.
All you would do is transfer a client-side XSLT transform, from GoogleML
to ClientML to the server.

 Paul Prescod