   Re: [xml-dev] W3C Successes (RE: [xml-dev] W3C Culture and Aims )

At 11:39 PM 4/26/2002 +1000, Rick Jelliffe wrote:
>From: "Jonathan Robie" <jonathan.robie@datadirect-technologies.com>
>
> > Suppose you want to develop a native XML database.
>
>But someone who wants to do that presumably wants to support large
>structures.
>And since XML was only developed to allow documents (presumably small ones)
>to be sent over the Web, there is no reason to expect that XML is suitable.

For the point I was making, substitute "suppose you want to develop any
interesting new technology that needs to describe typed data in a way that
can be interchanged on the web and to query such data". Standards make it
possible for the little guy to innovate. The lack of standards has been a
concrete problem in the small, innovative companies I have worked for.

I happen to disagree with you about whether XML databases are useful, but I
would rather discuss that separately.

Jonathan