   Re: [xml-dev] W3C Successes (RE: [xml-dev] W3C Culture and Aims )

4/26/2002 9:12:45 AM, Jonathan Robie <jonathan.robie@datadirect-
technologies.com> wrote:

>Frankly, I continue to be surprised by the extent to which you campaign
>against these standards, since adopting these standards is a hallmark of
>your company's marketing materials, and when I worked at Software AG,
>adoption of XML Schema and XQuery was considered extremely important. Has
>that changed?

My role at Software AG is to help figure out what problems people are really
trying to solve with XML, what technologies really work today, and how we
can make our products work better with these technologies to solve real
business problems. I jabber on XML-DEV to try out my tentative
understanding on a knowledgeable and critical audience, not to evangelize
any particular point of view.  I also post from a private account to minimize
the embarassment to my employer when I get it wrong, and try to make it
very clear that I do NOT speak for my employer's official position on one
specification or another.  I suspect that most of us here are in the same
situation.

As for the substance under debate, the world clearly needs standardized XML
schema and query languages. The open issues are a) what XML features people
need to solve problems they have today; b) what XML specs and technologies
really "work" and interoperate; and c) how do we maintain to a reasonably
optimum mix of innovation and standardization. These are genuinely hard
problems to answer; and I don't have the answers, but the people on this list
collectively have as good a perspective as any set of people in the world.
We'll move ahead by asking hard questions, providing tentative answers,
debating the answers, and using the debate to formulate new questions.