   Re: [xml-dev] Yet another plea for XUpdate (was New XSLT, XPath, and XQu

> > I know it's a near hopeless case, politically, but I
> > have no idea why there is not more consideration of
> > XUpdate in these discussions.
> >
> > It is marvelously simple and straightforward to use
> > and implement.  (Of course, this didn't help
> > TransQuery.)
> >
> > It does have the added advantage that it's widely
> > implemented.
> >
> > I think it's far more elegant than all the other
> > update proposals I've seen (some of which truly set
> > my teeth on edge).
> >

> http://www.xmldatabases.org/projects/XUpdate-UseCases/
> > http://www.xmldb.org/xupdate/
> >
> > One problem, for sure, is that the spec needs
> > polish.
> >

> XUpdate is an overly verbose XML syntax that only does
> updates. This doesn't solve the SQL for XML problem.
> On the other hand, this was the original goal of
> SiXDML, one which I think it accomplishes rather well.
>

> http://www.xmldb.org/sixdml/
> http://www.xmldb.org/sixdml/sixdml-lang.html
> http://www.xmldb.org/sixdml/sixdml-api.html
> http://www.25hoursaday.com/sixdml/demo.html
>
> However, I'm unsure of what its chances of catching on
> are due to political reasons. :)

Well, the nice thing about XML:DB is that I think it's far more of a meritocracy than most standards incubators.

Wow.  Where have you been hiding this gem?

This looks quite well considered, and certainly fits better into the XAPI than XUpdate.

One problem I see is that it will be hard to implement, and even harder to optimize (I'm working on an XUpdate processor that can handle a decent subset of requests within a single SAX stream).

But ease of implementation is only part of the story.  (out of curiousity, has SiXDML been implemented?)  You've given me some food for thought.

> If you are interested in learning more about SiXDML,
> subscribe to sixdml-dev@xmldb.org

I personally am *very* tempted, but I'm already drowning in mailing lists, and I'm not sure I'd realistically be able to contribute much to such an effort in the near term.  Please do keep the announcements coming, though.

> DISCLAIMER: SiXDML is the result of research work I
> did while in school and has no relation to my current
> employer. Specifically, it has no relationship with my
> day job besides the fact that it is also an XML
> technology. Please note the usage of a personal email
> account to send this email.

Well, if you're ever about to be fired for your temerity in working on useful, practical solutions for the XML community, let us know.  I'm sure we can round up a virtual candlelight vigil to better inform your employer  :-).

--
Uche Ogbuji                           Fourthought, Inc.
uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com           http://fourthought.com