   Re: [xml-dev] Yet another plea for XUpdate (was New XSLT, XPath, and XQ

--- Uche Ogbuji <uche.ogbuji@fourthought.com> wrote:

> > XUpdate is an overly verbose XML syntax that only
> does
> > updates. This doesn't solve the SQL for XML
> problem.
> > On the other hand, this was the original goal of
> > SiXDML, one which I think it accomplishes rather
> well.
> >

> > http://www.xmldb.org/sixdml/
> > http://www.xmldb.org/sixdml/sixdml-lang.html
> > http://www.xmldb.org/sixdml/sixdml-api.html
> > http://www.25hoursaday.com/sixdml/demo.html
> >
> > However, I'm unsure of what its chances of
> catching on
> > are due to political reasons. :)
>
> Well, the nice thing about XML:DB is that I think
> it's far more of a meritocracy than most standards
> incubators.
>
> Wow.  Where have you been hiding this gem?
>
> This looks quite well considered, and certainly fits
> better into the XAPI than XUpdate.
>
> One problem I see is that it will be hard to
> implement, and even harder to optimize (I'm working
> on an XUpdate processor that can handle a decent
> subset of requests within a single SAX stream).
>
> But ease of implementation is only part of the
> story.  (out of curiousity, has SiXDML been
> implemented?)  You've given me some food for
> thought.

The demo page at
http://www.25hoursaday.com/sixdml/demo.html is an
implementation of SiXDML over eXcelon's XIS. In fact,
in implementing SiXDML I extended the base
functionality of XIS by adding support for named
indices and W3C XML Schema validation.

However, the XIS work stalled because I had a 30 day
trial version which has since expired. Most queries on
the demo page still work except for some involving
indices which return errors about the trial version
having expired.

A friend of mine is currently working on a Xindice
port and Dietrich Ayala has mentioned work on a PHP
version.

In fact, I just spoke to my friend about the Xindice
implementation a few hours ago and he plans to try to
get some work done on it this weekend.

> > If you are interested in learning more about
> SiXDML,
> > subscribe to sixdml-dev@xmldb.org
>
> I personally am *very* tempted, but I'm already
> drowning in mailing lists, and I'm not sure I'd
> realistically be able to contribute much to such an
> effort in the near term.  Please do keep the
> announcements coming, though.

I am wary of posting announcements about SiXDML until
there is something concrete to show and not just
pie-in-the-sky specs. For instance, an announcement
would be likely once #8 on the Xindice planning list
was achieved.

http://www.xindice.org/papers/planning.html

> > DISCLAIMER: SiXDML is the result of research work
> > did while in school and has no relation to my
> current
> > employer. Specifically, it has no relationship
> with my
> > day job besides the fact that it is also an XML
> > technology. Please note the usage of a personal
> email
> > account to send this email.
>
> Well, if you're ever about to be fired for your
> temerity in working on useful, practical solutions
> for the XML community, let us know.  I'm sure we can
> round up a virtual candlelight vigil to better
> inform your employer  :-).

I appreciate the sentiment. :)

=====
THINGS TO DO IF I BECOME AN EVIL OVERLORD #93
If I decide to hold a double execution of the hero and an underling who failed or betrayed me, I will see to it that the hero is scheduled to go first.