   Re: [xml-dev] markup (was Re: [xml-dev] Out of topic or out of interest?

Hi Simon,

It seems that XML is probably making some progress as a rendering language
for small devices:

a) "Basic XHTML" for document packaging and general structure
b) "Basic SVG" for graphics
c) perhaps voiceXML for voice interaction.

I agree with Rick that XML as a web publishing language has not made anymore
progress as did SGML in the past. Just take for instance, the call I made
recently for any server able to provide different representations based on
the "content-type" header[1]. Something that should be popular if REST based
like XML architectures where in place, I received no comments nor any
indications of concrete servers performing such things. I expected that
based on the zeal I saw about REST and REST based XML architecture that this
would be common and that I was probably catching up the wave. I'll try for
an aother call based this is on the "accept" header, maybe the result will
make me change my mind.

So, it seems that XML is making progress as an hidden feature of RPC (i.e.
SOAP) or as an exposed interface definition language (WSDL) or as rendering
languages (SVG, VoiceXML, MathML, etc...).

cheers
Didier PH Martin