   Re: [xml-dev] XPath 1.5? (was RE: [xml-dev] typing and markup)

At 11:02 AM 5/7/2002 -0400, Simon St.Laurent wrote:
>On Tue, 2002-05-07 at 10:43, Jonathan Robie wrote:
> > Can you show me some sample XML data and XPath expressions where you get a
> > result you do not like with XPath 2.0?
>
>If all I cared about was the result and not the process of getting
>there, I would not very likely be on xml-dev, would I?
>
>Now, let's get back to talking about creating processes which only
>impose costs on the users who want to bear those costs.

Can you show me a query that illustrates the additional cost imposed on a
user? Surely if there is a cost that is so substantial that it justifies
this long discussion, it can be demonstrated in concrete terms.

Or if the costs are in some other area, say, performance, could you please
make a detailed argument that shows where the performance cost occurs?

So far, I really feel like we are discussing various people's philosophies
of XML. The requirements for XQuery were based on use cases, not on philosophy.

Jonathan