   RE: [xml-dev] PSVI formalization

On Thu, 2002-05-09 at 18:35, Dare Obasanjo wrote:
> From reading both your comments and does of Jonathan Robie, I guess no
> one actually implements either the PSVI or the Infoset to the letter of
> their respective recommendations. So what exactly are people in the
> various threads arguing about PSVI talking about then?

Yep.  Perfectly reasonable question.  I'll agree with you that there's
no implemented PSVI, which makes it very hard to gauge what all this
PSVI stuff is about.  There's a decent picture available of what a PSVI
might look like in the W3C XML Schema spec and the XQuery/XPath stuff,
but it's kind of shimmering, mirage-like.

I'm asking today for a fully-instantiated PSVI, one that gives
programmers immediate access to the typed data the PSVI promises without
mucking around in 3+ levels of XML processing to get to the final tasty
result.

I suspect that when we find such a thing it will be better-suited to
another kind of representation (Thomas Passin mentioned ASN.1, for
instance) than to XML itself.

> Some magic PSVI
> that was discussed in an offlist email thread, conference call and chain
> letter?

You mean xml-dev isn't a chain letter?  And here I thought... oh well.

--
Simon St.Laurent
Errors, errors, all fall down!