   Re: [xml-dev] XPath 2.0 - how much of XQuery should it include?

David Carlisle wrote:
> Did _anyone_ (outside the schema WG)  ever request support for schema
> complex types in XSLT. (This is a serious question, I have never seen
> the subject come up on any XSL forum that I follow).

Like you, I can't remember of a single post from an average
XSLT user *demanding* any XSchema type support on the XSL linst.

There have been lots of requests for a variety of date handling
functions, in particular sorting and minimum/maximum of dates.
The date related XSchema types *could* be an approach to solve
this, but so does an appropriate library, which could also
provide an extensive set of other date manipulation routines,
including date arithmetic and parsing+formatting localized
formats.

There were also quite a few requests regarding using regular
expressions for matching and substring extraction. Specifically
the first use case bears some resemblance with some XSchema
constructs (facets?).

I'm not really sure how many requests there were regarding
parsing localized numeric data from the XML. Well, there
were some. In any case, as far as I remember XSchema types
wont help with this at all.

Well, as much as I like a type system in other contexts, the
XSchema type system doesn't seem to offer much in the context
of XSLT.

J.Pietschmann