   Re: [xml-dev] XPath 2.0 - how much of XQuery should it include?

> David Carlisle wrote:
> > Did _anyone_ (outside the schema WG)  ever request support for schema
> > complex types in XSLT. (This is a serious question, I have never seen
> > the subject come up on any XSL forum that I follow).
>
> Like you, I can't remember of a single post from an average
> XSLT user *demanding* any XSchema type support on the XSL linst.
>
> There have been lots of requests for a variety of date handling
> functions, in particular sorting and minimum/maximum of dates.
> The date related XSchema types *could* be an approach to solve
> this, but so does an appropriate library, which could also
> provide an extensive set of other date manipulation routines,
> including date arithmetic and parsing+formatting localized
> formats.

Yes, but of course EXSLT provides this without a static type in sight.

> There were also quite a few requests regarding using regular
> expressions for matching and substring extraction. Specifically
> the first use case bears some resemblance with some XSchema
> constructs (facets?).

EXSLT also provides regex, and I'm sure this is a far friendlier solution than fiddling with facets.

> I'm not really sure how many requests there were regarding
> parsing localized numeric data from the XML. Well, there
> were some. In any case, as far as I remember XSchema types
> wont help with this at all.

You mean, for instance, reading numbers such as  "1.000.000,00" from text?

I think a set of conversion functions that sit on top of EXSLT regex could provide this.

> Well, as much as I like a type system in other contexts, the
> XSchema type system doesn't seem to offer much in the context
> of XSLT.

Agreed.

Track chair, XML/Web Services One (San Jose, Boston): http://www.xmlconference.com/
DAML Reference - http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2002/05/01/damlref.html