   Re: [xml-dev] Objections to / uses of PSVI?

> Would you be averse to something PSVI-like if it only meant returning a
> much-restricted set of simple data types?

It comes closer, but I'd have to think about it more before I commit my
vote. :)  As pointed out in other messages, no conventional programming
language has native support for all the XSD primitives, so many of them
are going to be mapped to strings (or subclassed, for type-safety).

If you only had primitive types, then don't you lose default values for
complex types?  Doesn't that mean you now have to always send the
container element?  If so, how can you express container-with-nothing
versus container-with-all-defaults?  I may have a basic
misunderstanding, but it seems like that opens a big can of works.

In addition, once you limit to just primitives, it seems to me you can
work purely on syntax/structure.

So if you can use just syntax, and you can't omit complex containers,
then you might as well work purely on syntax and throw out PSVI as a
requirement for searching and querying XML documents.  I'm in favor of that.

Is there a flaw in my logic?
	/r$