   Re: [xml-dev] Penance for misspent attributes

[Bill de hÓra <dehora@eircom.net> wrote:]

 > Granted we've been here before about how developers find state machines
 > awkward but it does leave open the possibility of being declared and
 > then autogeneratated. Was this approach never taken with SGML?

[Arjun Ray]
 >>Sure, though never in any standardized fashion.  The frustrations with SAX
 >>are recapitulations of the same frustrations with the output of (n)sgmls -
 >>no surprise, since SAX is modeled on that implementation of ESIS, and even
 >>more closely on David Megginson's SGMLS.pm package.  (Which is to say, SAX
 >>was not in any way an advance in the state of the art.)

SAX and ESIS are fundamentally different in one way - ESIS is a *notation*
produced by NSGMLS[1].

SAX is an API. You cannot grep an API. Hence PYX.
(http://www.xml.com/pub/a/2000/03/15/feature/).

The fact that SAX (an API) flourised and PYX (a notation)  withered
on the vine could be seen as a bellweather here.

The majority of programmers *prefer* APIs to notations. Therefore
SOAP will be a runaway success.

<Bart>Dow! I better start liking APIs before the market gives
me a Wedgie for stepping out of line.</Bart>

Sean

[1] Strictly speaking, ESIS is an abstract description of an infoset. The
output
of NSGMLS is a reification of that abstraction into a syntax.  James Clark
invented the syntax - "(" for open element "-" for data, "A" for attribute etc.