   Re: [xml-dev] SAX survey: expected local name for non-namespace qualifie

  • To: xml-dev@lists.xml.org
  • Subject: Re: [xml-dev] SAX survey: expected local name for non-namespace qualified
  • From: Richard Tobin <richard@cogsci.ed.ac.uk>
  • Date: Sun, 2 Jun 2002 23:47:34 +0100 (BST)
  • Cc:

>1. Before now, what was your understanding of this point? When
>writing and teaching did you tell your students to rely on local
>names or qNames for non-namespace qualified elements? What have you
>relied on in your code?

I had always assumed that "local name" meant what "local name" means
in XPath and other namespace-based specs.  That is, the local name of
an unprefixed name is the same as the name.  So when using SAX I
relied on the local name for both prefixed and unprefixed elements.

Incidentally, the Namespaces spec is a bit inconsistent in its use of
the term "qualified name".  The first time it uses it, it means
"prefixed name", but thereafter - and in particular in the definition
- it means "optionally prefixed name interpreted as referring to a
namespace / local part pair".  I always use it in the second sense -
when using namespaces, all element and attribute names are qualified
names, but only some of them are prefixed.

-- Richard