   RE: [xml-dev] W3C Schema: Resistance is Futile, says Don Box

You keep going on and on about how difficult this is to implement in
Java yet Microsoft shipped this functionality in .NET a few months ago.
Given the similarities between C# + CLR and Java + JVM, I just don't see
how your arguments have any leg to stand on besides intense dislike of
W3C XML Schema (which is understandable *chuckle*) .

> > XSDL is hardly the best language for just validation. DTDs are fine
> > for that. RELAX NG is even better. Use the right tool for the right
> > job.
>
> Horsefeathers.  Structural validation is only half of the
> issue.  The point of describing typing as a specification of
> validation algorithms is that that's how you do it purely
> within XML.  Anything else requires knowledge of the target
> language.  Validation requires only knowledge of what the
> constraints are, for simple types, semi-structured types, and
> structured types.  Restricting validation solely to the
> domain of structured types certainly does imply that one
> doesn't need XSDL, or typing of simple types at all.

Exactly, W3C XML Schema is probably not the best language for describing
structural validation for XML content. However it does a better job than
any other XML schema language I've seen when it comes to specifying a
mechanism for mapping XML to relational or object oriented data, bar
none.

Your vociferous objections run counter to my experiences and those of
thousands of developers who are using typed datasets, XML serialization
and SOAP today (not tomorrow, not Real Soon Now but today) on the .NET
platform.

--
PITHY WORDS OF WISDOM
The shortest distance between two points is under repair.

rights.