   Re: [xml-dev] W3C Schema: Resistance is Futile, says Don Box

[Mark Seaborne]

-----Original Message-----
From: Thomas B. Passin [mailto:tpassin@comcast.net]

>So  you can see that .NET provides roundtripping translation of normal
>programming data types, and uses schemas, while the user does not see or
>touch schemas, wsdl, or even xml.

>If you do want to do part of this by hand, for example to connect to a
>service that was not created  by .NET, it may work but if it doesn't fit
the
>scenarios that MS has provided for, it may not.

-

Blimey! So the average .Net user has no direct control over (or
understanding of?) any of the immensely, and overly complex stuff going on
under the surface. How reassuring.

[Tom P]
Yes, exactly.  Worse, if you want to intercept the machinery and do
something a little different with it, it's either very hard or impossible.

[Mark S]
XML is just the reverse; you get fooled into thinking, just nested angle
brackets, how elegant, how simple; and then whoomph! some rascally person
drops several tons of horrible complexity on your desk. Just so they can
force you to buy expensive development tools, and a whole lot of other
paraphernalia you never knew you needed, all to make it seem simple again.

[Tom P]
I don't say that this is the intent, but MS seems to have found a great way
to get defacto vendor lockin while being able to say that they fully endorse
open standards.   I don't know about the other major Web Services toolkits
(no experience with them).

Cheers,

Tom P