   Re: [xml-dev] W3C Schema: Resistance is Futile, says Don Box

Simon St.Laurent scripsit:

> >  If the schema
> >language or an individual schema required some cryptic, proprietary
> >format I would agree. But any educated person can *understand*
> >'2002-06-11' without too much effort.
>
> I dunno.  Is that June 11 or November 6?  A normalization that makes sense
> to your kind of educated person may not make sense to mine.

Oh, come on, Simon, don't overstate your case.  *Nobody* uses year-day-month
dates, thank Ghu.

> It has everything to do with whether normalization is good or
> necessary.  As W3C XML Schema enforces normalization, those types are also
> polluted by this for purposes of this conversation.

In document-centric contexts, the right application is probably something
like this:

Julius Caesar was assassinated on <date gDate="-43-03-13">the ides of
March, 710 A.U.C.</date>,

So the content tells us the Roman date, and the gDate attribute (of type
gDate, obviously) gives us the Gregorian equivalent.  Only the latter
has an XSD type.

> "Every day in every way I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue

"Your uncle is not sick.  He only thinks he is sick.  Let him repeat
EDIEWIGBAB once a day for six months and he will be cured."

Six months pass...

"How is your uncle?"

"He thinks he is dead."

--