   Re: [xml-dev] Data binding as type definition

Simon St.Laurent scripsit:

> I guess I think of those constraints as bonus things you can do once you
> have identified a type, not as something intrinsic to a particular
> type.  Sort of like constraints applied through get/set accessors in Java.

Note my definition of type: a named class of values.  (The name can be
a complex name, of course, like "non-negative integer" or "integer between
-200 and 55678".)

Mathematical note: the reason I insist on a type being named is to rein
in higher-order infinities.  There are \aleph_0 values, and therefore there
are 2^\aleph_0 = \aleph_1 classes of values, but only \aleph_0 names.
Necessarily therefore a great many classes, corresponding to transcendental
real numbers, go unnamed.

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com