   Re: [xml-dev] W3C Schema: Resistance is Futile, says Don Box

W. E. Perry scripsit:

> > Julius Caesar was assassinated on <date gDate="-43-03-13">the ides of March,
> > 710 A.U.C.</date>
> I am as unhappy as Simon with your use of attribute here, but even more with the
> (double: year and day, both) inaccuracy of its value.

Izzatso?  The man said "Kai su, teknon?" and died on March 15, 44 B.C.E.
according to the Julian calendar, the one in effect at the time, which
by my calculations was March 13 by the proleptic Gregorian calendar, which
is what XSD mandates.  The mapping from signed Gregorian to C.E./B.C.E
style maps 1 B.C.E. to the year 0, and so on backward.

As for the A.U.C., one subtracts a B.C.E. date from 754 to compute it.

(Those who prefer may read A.D. for C.E., and B.C. for B.C.E. in this posting.)

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com