   Re: [xml-dev] dates (was Re: [xml-dev] W3C Schema: Resistance is Futile,

----- Original Message -----
From: "Simon St.Laurent" <simonstl@simonstl.com>
To: "XML DEV" <xml-dev@lists.xml.org>
Sent: Tuesday, June 11, 2002 11:48 AM
Subject: [xml-dev] dates (was Re: [xml-dev] W3C Schema: Resistance is
Futile, says Don Box)

> Does anyone know of more general references covering date issues?
>
> I'd be looking for something that covers a wide variety of different
> calendars and variations within calendars - everything from
> Julian/Gregorian to January/April year starts to lunar/solar to variations
> on cycles.

Look in GNU emacs.  It has a calendar facility of great flexibility and
comprehensiveness.  The technical background (snipped from the
implementation file calendar.el) is specified as:

;; Technical details of all the calendrical calculations can be found in
;; ``Calendrical Calculations'' by Nachum Dershowitz and Edward M. Reingold,
;; Cambridge University Press (1997).

;; An earlier version of the technical details appeared in
;; ``Calendrical Calculations'' by Nachum Dershowitz and Edward M. Reingold,
;; Software--Practice and Experience, Volume 20, Number 9 (September, 1990),
;; pages 899-928.  ``Calendrical Calculations, Part II: Three Historical
;; Calendars'' by E. M. Reingold,  N. Dershowitz, and S. M. Clamen,
;; Software--Practice and Experience, Volume 23, Number 4 (April, 1993),
;; pages 383-404.

;; Hard copies of these two papers can be obtained by sending email to
;; reingold@cs.uiuc.edu with the SUBJECT "send-paper-cal" (no quotes) and
;; the message BODY containing your mailing address (snail).

;; Comments, corrections, and improvements should be sent to
;;  Edward M. Reingold               Department of Computer Science
;;  (217) 333-6733                   University of Illinois at
Urbana-Champaign
;;  reingold@cs.uiuc.edu             1304 West Springfield Avenue
;;                                   Urbana, Illinois 61801