   [off-topic] For-pay APIs

It's a bit off-topic, but I thought it might interest the folks here.

EBay has a direct API for access to their services (things like searching
and posting auctions). It appears to return XML data. But that's not the
part I found interesting. If you want to use their
API, you have to pay them a fee (starting at $1000 a year) and a
per-invocation fee of $6.50 per 1000 API calls (more info at
<http://developer.ebay.com>).

So what do you think about this service model? Is this how people are going
to make money off web-services? On a per-API call basis?

-Ramin

---
Ramin Firoozye - Wizen Software
San Francisco, California.