   RE: [xml-dev] W3C Schema: Resistance is Futile, says Don Box

The SOAP operation is identified by the qualified name of the payload
element.

>  2. what URI you want to get. If you read the HTTP spec
> you'll find that there is a ton in there about the
> interpetation of that and of course behind that is the entire
> body of Web standards

A SOAP service is also identified by a URI (any transport).

>  3. the version of HTTP in use.

The version of SOAP is identified by the SOAP namespace.

<snip/>

> > SOAP as it sits today doesn't give you much in terms of
> > interoperability benefit simply because there are no standard
> > headers. We're still trying to agree on the framing and
> > extensibility mechanism before we charge down that path.
> > The real interoperability benefit will come over time as
> > standard headers emerge.
>
> I agree, and think that this would be where SOAP could
> provide great value if it didn't get there by tearing down
> the interoperability we have already built around URIs and
> operations upon them. Two steps backwards, one step forward.

I think "tearing down" is dramatic. SOAP embraces HTTP and tries to
clearly codify its use to help ensure interoperability. This is where
you'd like to see REST come in, right?

> > HTTP wouldn't be much of a protocol either if you throw out all the
> > headers.
>
> I guess that's why HTTP defines a bunch of headers.
> ;) So should SOAP.

That's exactly what's happening through layered specifications like
WS-Security proposed by Microsoft, IBM, and Verisign. There are many
other proposals on the table from different organizations.

-aaron
http://staff.develop.com/aarons