   Re: [xml-dev] Come On, DTD, Come On! Thoughts on DSDL Part 9

At 2002-06-12 16:23 +1000, Marcus Carr wrote:
>Could someone spell out the role that they see extended DTDs playing?
>(Ken?) I'm
>not saying that there isn't one, just that it doesn't jump up and bite me.

I'm hoping that will come out in the requirements and use-cases.

That's an important reason to have use-cases ... if the act of thinking out
what it will do before how it does what it does reveals that it needn't do
anything, that is an important result and it saves on a lot of work.

There are a number of ISO multi-part standards where some of the parts have
never panned out into final standards (or even drafts).  ISO TR-9573 is
famous in SGML circles because it describes a publishing system built at
the ISO Central Secretariat.  It has at least 13 parts, yet only a handful
ever made it.  Note that in Barcelona last month we created a new project
for that part of 9573 that standardizes public character entity sets in
order to add to ISOnum the Euro and other currency symbols of ISO 8859-15
that are not already in ISOnum.

........................ Ken

--
Upcoming: 3-days XSLT/XPath and/or 2-days XSL-FO:Sep 30-Oct 4,2002

Crane Softwrights Ltd.          http://www.CraneSoftwrights.com/x/
Box 266, Kars, Ontario CANADA K0A-2E0  +1(613)489-0999 (Fax:-0995)
ISBN 0-13-065196-6                       Definitive XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-08-X   Practical Transformation Using XSLT and XPath
ISBN 1-894049-07-1                Practical Formatting Using XSLFO
XSL/XML/DSSSL/SGML/OmniMark services, books (electronic, printed),
articles, training (instructor-live,Internet-live,web/CD,licensed)
Next public training:     2002-06-11,13,14,08-05,26,27,09-30,10-03