   Re: [xml-dev] Come On, DTD, Come On! Thoughts on DSDL Part 9

Ronald Bourret scripsit:

> I like extensibility, but this smacks of interoperability problems. How
> does RELAX NG intend that datatype libraries be known?

By rumor.  :-)

Each datatype library is associated with a URI, just as namespaces are.
There is also a default library associated with the null string, which
all RELAX NG implementations know about.  Typically an implementation
understands a fixed list of library URIs, and punts if it sees a
reference to one it does not understand.  Jing, e.g., understands only
the default and XSD libraries (the XSD namespace is used as the URI).

There is a Java interface for pluggable libraries, which allows a
parser to ask "Is this string an instance of this named type?" and
"Are these strings equivalent under this named type?"  (E.g.
"0" and "0000" are equivalent under type "integer" in XSD.)

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com