   Re: [xml-dev] Come On, DTD, Come On! Thoughts on DSDL Part 9

Arjun Ray scripsit:

> Does this help organize processing of instances?  If it doesn't, how =
> could
> it help expressiveness in composing schemas?

Processing isn't everything.  XML documents are supposed to be human readable.

> Overloading is too geeky not to be confusing.

On the contrary, overloading is a fundamental linguistic characteristic.
There is hardly a word in any language that has a single narrowly
construed meaning, unless indeed it is part of the scientific vocabulary.

> |> I note that you dodged the question again. ;-)
> |=20
> | Are you asking for my *personal* views?
>
> Any view that propounds a coherent argument (and thus, inter alia,
> explains the motivation to treat attributes and child elements alike.)

I gave the motivation: because people do not agree on what belongs in
child elements and what belongs in attributes, it is appropriate to
design systems that can cope with information in either place.
A schema language that can handle content models like

	attribute id {xsd:ID} | element id {xsd:ID}

is therefore useful.  But this is really quite OT.  I have no desire
to allow DTDs to do everything that RELAX NG can do; I was attempting
to point out some fundamental limitations of the DTD meta-model.

--
John Cowan <jcowan@reutershealth.com>     http://www.reutershealth.com