   Illegal Characters in Namespace URIs

Consider the following document:

<root xmlns="[^^^^||||]">
</root>

All of the characters used as values of the xmlns attribute are
illegal in namespace URIs according to RFC 2396 and legal in XML
attribute values.

Is this document namespace well-formed?

I've been hunting through the Namespaces spec and I can find no BNF
grammar production or namespace constraint that indicates the value
of an xmlns or xmlns:prefix attribute actually has to be a legal URI
reference. They key seems to be section 6, which leaves out any
restriction on namespace names as part of the definition of
conformance.

What have I missed? Where does the spec normatively require that the
value of an xmlns attribute actually be a URI reference? If it does
not so require, then I still wouldn't recommend that people use
non-URIs as namespace names, but I might have to allow for that
possibility in my software.

There is one possible reason not to require the namespace names to be
URI references: if any characters are allowed, then IRIs become
possible as well. URIs only allow ASCII.

|             http://www.cafeconleche.org/books/bible2/              |