   Re: [xml-dev] ANN: Python implementation of Regular Fragmentations and o

At 04:57 PM 6/17/2002 +0200, Eric van der Vlist wrote:
>See: http://downloads.dyomedea.com/python/regfrag/
>
>Even if the title says it all, I'd like to propose for discussion some
>suggestions and extensions which I have added to my implementation as a
>proof of concept and will eventually remove depending on the result of
>this discussion.

Hurray!  I need to spend my day editing, I'm afraid, so I'll just address
one of the (all good) issues you raised.

>4) skipFirst
>
>It's often subjective to define default values, however I think that the
>default  value for the skipFirst attribute could be "false". Also, it's
>not clear if this  attribute applies to all the types of rules (match and
>split) --I think that for  coherence, it should be the case.

It does apply to all the rules, but is designed to address a common problem
in match results: the entire (unfragmented) contents of the element or
attribute are returned as the first match.  Sometimes this is useful, as
when you want to keep the original _and_ the fragments, but most times it's
more usefully discarded.  There are other ways to skip results, of course.

(Split results don't have that extra.)

Simon St.Laurent
"Every day in every way I'm getting better and better." - Emile Coue