   Re: [xml-dev] DSDL part 9: new namespace declarations not needed as par

"Bullard, Claude L (Len)" <clbullar@ingr.com> wrote:

| IMO, the non XML format is only a pain for a parser writer.

And an XML format would be a pain for the human reader/maintainer.

| For the author, once learned, I think it easy and comfortable,
| particularly as I've said before, because one doesn't get lost in
| element elementness or attribute attributeness.

Indeed.  The typical schema "document" is practically all "markup".  The
syntax was designed to unobtrusive when there's lots of #PCDATA.  When
there's hardly any text content, the relentless progressions of pointy
brackets and quoted strings does *not* make for readability.

| No, GIs are NOT types anymore than PE names are types.

Yea, verily, what he said.

| I'd drop parameter entities.

Time to develop proper syntactic forms where PEs were pinch-hitting.  I'd
say the SGML Extended Facilities (Annex A of ISO 10744) would be a good
place to start mining for ideas.